The Local Angler is a series of ten fishing guidebooks written by experts in their respective fishing specialties about their regional areas. Each guide features many favorite fishing spots—some known only by locals! We tell you when to go, the gear, lures, and techniques that work there, and where to celebrate your catch afterward! Every fish story receives descriptive narrative, gorgeous photography, and detailed maps.
It may be a “best-kept secret,” but central Texas has some of the best spots for fly fishing in America. With Texas native and fly fishing expert Aaron Reed as your guide, enjoy dozens of wades and paddles, all within easy reach of Austin. Discover secluded spring creeks braced by soaring limestone cliffs. Wade in broad pools dotted with lily pads and stands of water willow. Fish in neighborhood ponds and float deep, slow rivers. Easy-to-follow narrative, detailed maps, and gorgeous color photographs make it easy to “Go fishing now!” even if you have only a few hours to spare.
There’s something for every angler in central Texas. Visit the nation’s southernmost trout fishery in the Canyon Lake tailwaters. Find seven species in a single day, including the native Guadalupe bass and the Rio Grande cichlid. Fly Fishing Austin and Central Texas is your passport to the challenges and rewards of angling in this unique and beautiful region.
A look inside:
* Directions to more than 80 legal access points
* Detailed on-the-water route descriptions
* Full-color maps showing stream access points
* More than 200 full-color photographs
* Tips for “reading” central Texas streams
* Dozens of local angler-friendly hangouts
* Successful local fly patterns – and how to tie them
* Local and natural history: Comanches, conquistadors, jaguars, and at least one dinosaur
* Descriptions of common aquatic and riparian plants
* Comprehensive Texas river law primer
* Tips for taking kids fishing.
* Advice for selecting rods, reels, and line for local conditions and species
* Local fly shops and guide services
* How to catch a riffle-loving Guadalupe bass.
* The mysterious story of Round Rock’s “Hairy Man”
* Where to find and how to catch trophy rainbow trout
… And much, much more!