Fly Fishing Austin & Central Texas
It may be a “best-kept secret,” but central Texas has some of the best spots for fly fishing in America. With Texas native and fly fishing expert Aaron Reed as your guide, enjoy dozens of wades and paddles, all within easy reach of Austin. Discover secluded spring creeks braced by soaring limestone cliffs. Wade in broad pools dotted with lily pads and stands of water willow. Fish in neighborhood ponds and float deep, slow rivers. Easy-to-follow narrative, detailed maps, and gorgeous color photographs make it easy to “Go fishing now!” even if you have only a few hours to spare.
There’s something for every angler in central Texas. Visit the nation’s southernmost trout fishery in the Canyon Lake tailwaters. Find seven species in a single day, including the native Guadalupe bass and the Rio Grande cichlid. Fly Fishing Austin and Central Texas is your passport to the challenges and rewards of angling in this unique and beautiful region.
A look inside:
* Directions to more than 104 legal access points
* 49 detailed on-the-water route descriptions to 12 featured streams
* Full-color maps showing stream access points
* More than 200 full-color photographs
* Tips for “reading” central Texas streams
* Dozens of local angler-friendly hangouts
* Successful local fly patterns – and how to tie them
* Local and natural history: Comanches, conquistadors, jaguars, and at least one dinosaur
* Descriptions of common aquatic and riparian plants
* Comprehensive Texas river law primer
* Tips for taking kids fishing.
* Advice for selecting rods, reels, and line for local conditions and species
* Local fly shops and guide services
* How to catch a riffle-loving Guadalupe bass.
* The mysterious story of Round Rock’s “Hairy Man”
* Where to find and how to catch trophy rainbow trout
… And much, much more!
* Updates from the publisher of Aaron’s book can be found on The Local Angler series home site here.
Aaron Reed is an award-winning outdoor writer and Army veteran. He currently splits his time between his native Texas Gulf coast, where he drives a tugboat, and his home near the banks of the San Gabriel River in Georgetown, Texas. When he is not working, chances are you can find him knee-deep in a stream somewhere around Austin, often with his wife and one or more of his three boys, trying like heck to become a better fly fisherman.
The Local Angler Fly Fishing Austin and Central Texas will be released by Imbrifex Books in May, 2020. A party to celebrate its publication will be held at a fly fishing hang-out in the greater Austin area on May 7, 2020. Drinks and gourmet hors d’oeuvres will be served. All are welcome. More information about the launch party and pre-order information will be posted here soon.